Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Student Dies Days After Reaction To Sandwich

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next

momma2boys, thank-you. [img][/img]

Best wishes! [img][/img]


This is very sad. I am curious though about the 5 days in the hospital. We always hear how quick death is when someone has an anaphylactic reaction.

Im sure that we will hear more news soon. [img][/img]

e-mom, Im just speculating, but when I read it, well, no, I cant even post it. [img][/img]

Best wishes! [img][/img]




A GRIEVING dad yesterday paid tribute to his daughter after she was killed by a sandwich.

Student Amanda Mills, 19, collapsed outside her college as she ate her lunch.

Its believed an allergy triggered an anaphylactic shock.

She died on Monday five days after the attack in Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.

Grahame Mills spoke of his daughter as he prepared for her funeral today.

He said: Everyone knew and loved Amanda. She had a large circle of friends.

She was studying social sciences at Aberdeen College on a one-year course.

She had ambitions to continue her career in the field of social sciences.

Amanda, a former pupil of Aberdeen Grammar School, is survived by her father, mum Christian and sister Amy.

Her funeral will be held at Aberdeen Crematorium West Chapel. All her friends have been invited.

An anaphylactic shock is a rare and extreme allergic reaction. The patient suffers breathing problems and their whole body goes into shock, often within minutes.

It can be triggered by certain food ingredients, including nuts.

Amanda, who knew she had allergies, always watched her diet carefully.

Thu 29 Apr 2004

Food reaction kills student


A TEENAGER died after apparently suffering an allergic reaction to a sandwich.

Amanda Mills, 19, started having breathing problems after biting into the food last Wednesday.

She was taken to hospital where medical teams battled to save her, but the teenager - described as a ""beautiful little angel"" by those close to her - lost her fight on Monday.

The Aberdeen College student was careful about what she ate, as she knew she had allergies. However, the sandwich she bit into may have contained a trace of something such as nuts, causing an extreme allergic reaction known as anaphylactic shock.

This article:


This article almost gives an address, dont know if its usable enough to get a card to her family.


Student dies after taking just one bite

By Bob Dow

A TEENAGE girl has been killed by one bite of a sandwich.

Student Amanda Mills, 19, collapsed as she ate lunch in the street outside her college.

Pals and passing shoppers tried to help her as she struggled to breathe and a driver jumped from his van to come to her aid.

But Amanda died in hospital five days later. It is believed she suffered an allergic reaction to something in the sandwich.

Friends said she knew she was at risk from allergies and always took care with her diet.

Amanda was a part-time receptionist at Nazareth House, an old folks home run by nuns in Aberdeen.

One of the nuns, Sister Superior Eileen, said yesterday: There was not a dry eye in the house whenwe heard.

Amanda was a little angel. She was very pretty, stunning and so helpful.Everyone loved her.

We heard it happened after she had a sandwich for lunch.

She was always very careful about what she ate because of her allergies.

A Scottish Ambulance Service spokesman confirmed that a young female was picked up near Aberdeen College at 1.45pm last Wednesday.

He said the patient had breathing problems,possibly caused by an allergic reaction and was taken to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.

It is believed Amanda suffered a rare and extreme allergic reaction known as anaphylactic shock.

The condition can be triggered by tiny traces of foods including nuts. The patients whole body can go into shock, often within minutes.

Victims are often in their teens or 20s. Promising Scots runner Ross Baillie, 21, died in 1999 from eating a sandwich that contained nut oil.

Amandas family were comforting each other in Aberdeen yesterday. One relative said: She was beautiful.

The family would like to thank those who assisted Amanda at the scene. We are very grateful.

Amanda, of Kingshill Avenue, Aberdeen, was studying for an HNC in social sciences after leaving the citys Grammar School.

Aberdeen College released a statement saying: Our thoughts are very much with Amandas family and friends at this saddest of times.

Amanda will be greatly missed by her fellow students and by the staff who had the privilege of teaching and supporting her.

Amanda was known as Buffy by school pals at Aberdeen Grammar. Her yearbook entry from sixth year says: Amanda has always been there to lend a sympathetic ear and would do anything for her friends.

Her chirpy personality will bring her even more friends and success in whatever she does.



09:00 - 03 May 2004

Family and friends of Aberdeen student Amanda Mills remembered the teenager at her funeral on Saturday.

Hundreds of mourners attended the city crematoriums West Chapel, where they were told they should cherish their memories of the 19-year-old.

Amanda, of the citys Kingswells Avenue, died after apparently suffering an allergic reaction to a sandwich.

During the funeral, some of Amandas friends clutched single flowers and wept, supporting each other through the 45-minute service.

The Rev John Anderson told Amandas parents, Grahame and Christian, sister Amy, her grandparents and her boyfriend Chris, that to be remembered you did not have to live to an old age.

""Amanda will be treasured. She will be cherished because of the kind of person she was,"" he said.

He added that if anyone had a dry eye at the service, they must have a ""heart of stone"", but as well as grieving, they should also celebrate the 19 years of Amandas life. Mr Anderson went on to mention Amandas various nicknames, including ""Buffy"", and how she was always drinking Ribena.

The large congregation, some of whom were standing, sang For the Beauty of the Earth and The Lords My Shepherd.

Later, Mr Anderson read a letter written by Amandas sister, Amy. She described Amanda as her best friend, who would always listen to her problems and little stories.

At the end of the service, Amandas boyfriend laid a flower on her coffin. A floral wreath, spelling out ""Doll"" had also been placed at the front.

Those who turned out to pay their respects included nuns from Nazareth House where Amanda worked part-time as a receptionist. William Johnston, the rector at Amandas former school, Aberdeen Grammar, was also present, along with staff from the city college, where she had been studying for an HND in social sciences.

Amanda was outside the city college on the Gallowgate when she began having breathing problems after biting into a sandwich. She was taken to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary but died five days later.

Amanda was very careful about what she ate. It is thought the sandwich she bit into contained nut traces, bringing on a relatively rare condition known as anaphylactic shock.

raising for Jason

Hey thanks for everyones sympathy etc
that was my sister
wierd how so many people know all that stuff that happened
but thanks anyway.

am071, we are all so sorry for your loss.

Thank you for taking the time to post. I hope your family is now in a place where thinking and talking about Amanda brings happy memories.

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next