Ah, so it is another day in my 10th grade Honors Chemistry class. I’m just sitting there, minding my own business, and jotting down notes. It was then that my Chemistry teacher posed the million-dollar question.
“Does anyone have a nut allergy?”
Of course, I raised my hand but my initial reaction was, how does this relate to the topic we were discussing? Well, my question was quickly answered, we were going to do a lab experiment using nuts. It was not a shock to me, after 15 years of having a peanut allergy you just begin to expect peanuts to be involved in everything. It is just like living in New York City, once you live there long enough you will wind up seeing everything! Nothing phases you anymore and I mean nothing, a tortoise on a leash, people hand feeding squirrels ice cream, that kind of everything.
So my teacher concluded that the two people in my class (including me) with a Peanut/Tree nut allergy would not have to do the lab. It was not going to be canceled because of us. The boy and I would just have to go to the library for the class and get the results from a friend.
I will write about what happens on the day of because I have a feeling it is going to be a lot more complicated than just going to the library. The whole entire classroom will be contaminated with what I am deathly allergic to. But like always, I shall figure it out and handle it, for it is key to never panic. In fact, I am going to talk to her soon and ask her if the experiment must be done then I need all the desks wiped down with Clorox Wipes.