The reaction struck without warning. Then 18 months old, Colton sat in the back seat as his mother ran errands. Suddenly, he began projectile vomiting. His mother pulled over to the side of the road to check on him, discovering that he had hives all over his body. Colton then began to cough and rub his throat as the anaphylaxis set in.

Colton was previously a healthy toddler who’d never had any reactions after eating. But now he was experiencing a life-threatening allergic reaction known as anaphylactic shock, which left him struggling for breath. Thankfully, his mother acted quickly, and the reaction occurred just a few minutes from Children’s Hospital Colorado, where Colton received medical intervention to reverse the symptoms.

ER personnel took charge

AsUS Newsreports, his mother, Misty Meade, says she was surprised how quickly emergency room personnel worked to save her son. “It felt like there were at least 10 doctors and nurses multitasking and administering and doing what they needed to do,” she commented, adding “Everyone worked together very calmly … I had a sense he was going to be OK, and we were going to get through this, and he wasn’t going to die.”

Colton had eaten a few peanut butter crackers while in the car that day. It turns out that the snack was the culprit, and Colton was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy. He was later diagnosed with allergies to sesame seeds, eggs, garlic, shrimp, and several other foods.

Now 2 and a half years old, he knows how to avoid foods that he’s allergic to. The staff at his preschool have EpiPens on hand and know how to use them. And his parents are used to bringing safe treats for their son when he attends events such as birthday parties. Before eating anything, Colton knows to ask whether he can have it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}