A Minnesota restaurant is being sued by the family of a 16-year-old boy who died after experiencing a severe allergic reaction to the eatery’s pancakes.
The boy had a severe dairy allergy, and the family claims the wait staff assured them that the pancakes were dairy-free.
The Minnesota Nice Cafe, which serves several allergen-free meals, listed the pancakes as a dairy-free, gluten-free vegan alternative.
The lawsuit is for incurred medical bills, pain and suffering, and other damages.
The 16-year-old forgot to bring his EpiPen
The incident happened in June, when the boy’s mother, Cindy Johnson, took her son to the cafe for brunch. After being assured that the pancakes were free of dairy, they ordered the meal and ate.
Almost immediately after the meal, Cindy could see something was wrong with Scott. He had forgotten his EpiPen, so the two rushed home a few blocks away and administered it. When his condition failed to improve, Cindy called 911.
When paramedics arrived, Scott was unresponsive but alive and was rushed to the hospital. He died three days later.
The restaurant told a local news station that they could not comment on the lawsuit.