A pub owner went to a soccer game and then ate at an Indian food restaurant near York, England in 2014. He died shortly afterward from anaphylactic shock and the restaurant owner was convicted of manslaughter and jailed for six years.

Paul Wilson, who was 38 at the time of his death, was allergic to peanuts and in the United Kingdom, restaurant owners – even for takeout – are required to announce any allergens to customers. They are also required to have proper food allergy training and certification and display that certification in their establishment where customers can see it.

Forged Food Safety Certificate

Mohammed Zaman, the owner of the Indian Garden restaurant, had forged his food safety training certificate and employed an undocumented worker at the restaurant. When Mr. Wilson entered and received his food, he was not informed of allergens and may have been told that the food was safe for him. He later died in his hotel room after eating the food.

Mr. Zaman filed for an appeal in 2017 to cut down his sentence but a court in London rejected his bid for an appeal.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}