A seven-year-old school student has died in Virginia, after suffering an allergic reaction while at her elementary school.

On just the first day back to school following Winter break, the girl ate a peanut product. Soon afterwards, she began experiencing an allergic reaction. Emergency crews were called to the school around 2:30 pm on Monday, saysCBS 6 Richmond.By the time she arrived, the child was already in cardiac arrest, and later she was pronounced dead at the hospital.

It is still not known exactly what type of snack she ate, or how she got access to it. The official cause of her allergic reaction will be determined by the Medical Examiner, though it is known that the child had a severe peanut allergy, and that is the likely cause of her death.

In the aftermath of this tragedy, school officials reminded parents to send a list of all of their child’s known allergies to be kept in their file at the school. If you know that your child has a severe allergy, discuss options for treating an allergic reaction at school. For example, your school district may require prior approval before using an EpiPen to deliver a shot of potentially life-saving epinephrine to reverse an allergic reaction.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}