Cameron Groezinger-Fitzpatrick died last week after eating a cookie made with peanut oil. The 19-year-old college freshman had a severe peanut allergy.

His mother, Robin Fitzpatrick, recently spoke about her son’s death with¬†ABCNews.com.¬†“We were all so shocked, it came out of nowhere,” she commented.

He was first diagnosed with the allergy at the age of 8, after he became sick when eating Chinese food. Once, he suffered a severe allergic reaction after accidentally dropping his asthma inhaler into a pile of acorns on the ground.

How the Fatal Reaction Happened

According to his mother, Cameron had just returned home on Spring Break. He and a friend went out for the evening and bought cookies. His friend ate one first and said he didn’t taste even a hint of peanuts. He reportedly assured Cameron that the cookie did not contain nuts. But within minutes, Cameron was doubled over in pain.

The teens returned to his home, where his mom pulled an Epi-Pen out of the cupboard. However, it had expired several months ago, and emergency responders told her over the phone that she shouldn’t try to use it. Cameron was rushed to the hospital, where he died that evening.

Cameron’s Legacy

“He always wanted to do something big,” said his mother. “He’s going out big. He’s going to make others realize [they need to] be supercautious. Be your biggest advocate.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}