In Atlanta, a 15-year-old boy has died after suffering an allergic reaction. Diallo Robbins-Brinson, a high school freshman and avid soccer player, passed away Monday in an Atlanta hospital.

Celebrating a tournament win on Saturday night, Diallo ate dinner with his teammates at a buffet restaurant, his mother told theAtlanta Journal Constitution.For dessert, he ate a pair of white chocolate and macadamia nut cookies, his favorite. However, within just a few minutes of biting into them, he was on the floor, unconscious. He had suffered a serious allergic reaction, believed to have been caused by nuts in the cookies.

Diallo had a lifelong nut allergy, and knew to avoid them. However, he had eaten Macadamia nut cookies many times before, and had never reacted to them, explained his mother, Larmia Robbins-Brinson. She said “He thought he was eating something safe. He loved them. If he had smelled peanut butter, he wouldn’t have picked them.”

Because he was so accustomed to avoiding nuts, he no longer carried an Epi-Pen to treat accidental exposure. A stranger who was also eating in the restaurant offered their Epi-Pen Jr., but the smaller amount of medication contained in the device wasn’t enough to treat the reaction. Paramedics soon arrived, and he was taken to the hospital, but he never regained consciousness.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}