A rash could be caused by any food allergy.
According to the Mayo Clinic, a peanut allergy is sometimes the cause of a rash. An allergic reaction happens when your immune system mistakenly identifies peanut proteins as harmful substances. The immune system them releases chemicals into your bloodstream that cause symptoms. One of these could be a rash that could be on the face, arms, or another part of the body, or it could develop on most of the body.
Possible Ways to Come Into Contact With Peanuts
Eating peanuts or peanut butter may be the cause of an allergic reaction of a rash, but it is also possible to develop a reaction to this food by inhaling peanut dust. Some people who are highly sensitive to peanuts develop a serious response if they inhale the smallest amount of dust created by an empty peanut bag or jar. If that dust gets into their lungs, they may develop a rash or even a more serious allergic reaction.
Cross-contact is another way of accidentally coming into contact with peanut butter or peanuts. This happens when peanuts have been processed on the same equipment as a food that you are not allergic to. Some people develop a peanut allergy reaction when they eat another food that has minute particles of peanut on it.
Some people are tempted to simply ignore a rash that goes away in a few hours or a day, especially when it happens to a child. This can be a very big mistake because the peanut allergy could be much more serious the next time that the person eats a product containing peanuts.
For this reason, it is important to call your doctor and make an appointment for allergy testing if you suspect any type of food allergy. Keep a food diary of what was eaten on the day that the rash occurred. This will help you and your doctor narrow down the foods that could be causing the rash.
It is always best to be tested to see which food allergies you have if you or your child have broken out in a rash. Sometimes, parents think that their child has outgrown a peanut allergy, but it could come back again when they are not prepared to handle it.
Having an epinephrine auto-injector available can save a person’s life because it stops a life-threatening allergic reaction to a food like peanuts. If you do not know that you or your child still have the allergy, then you may not be prepared to handle a situation that requires emergency treatment.
Once you know that you have a peanut allergy, you can have a current prescription of epinephrine on hand. Also, your doctor can look at your rash and tell you if it may be caused by an allergy. If a food allergy is suspected, your physician will order allergy testing.