Forum

Forum Navigation
Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:BoardsBoards: Schools504 Plan
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

504 Plan

PreviousPage 4 of 4

These are NOT reasonable accomodations. Your rights are being violated!

Mind if I send you an instant message?

You are a commited parent climbing a steep learning curve. As a parent who has been dealt the whole deck of acronyms, I can understand that it is overwhelming. I was right there with you in 2001 when I started my journey.

If the allergy is your primary concern and not any other learning differences, start with the 504 Plan. The 504 comes under Federal Law and guarantees access to a free and public education (FAPE). Traditionally, this has been thought of when a school or public (taypayer funded) building adds a ramp to their entrance. A child restricted to a wheel chair cannot climb steps and would be denied ACCESS to the school and education because of their disability.

Over the years, 504 has expanded to include not just access to the building but access to the education. For a children with peanut allergies, the presence of open peanuts would deny them access to the classroom and the education offered. A peanut allergy interferes with a life process -eating. Therefore, the school must make accomodations not just for the education but the food service.

How to get a 504 plan?

1) Sit down with your doctor and complete the form found at http://www.foodallergy.org/document.doc?id=234
This will establish a medical need and the impact on a life activity (eating, breathing, ...)

2) Here are the steps with links to supporting documents
http://www.foodallergy.org/advocacy/section-504-plans

3)GrownupLaurenMom here also gives excellent advice on what goes inside. 507 Posts on the other ""Why NOT ... 504"" thread you posted on, no wonder you are overwhelmed! The first post on the ""Why Not ... 504"" discussion give excellent advice on what should be in a 504.

The 504 is not a magic bullet. If the wheelchair bound child has a class upstairs, the school is not required to install an elevator, they may move the classroom to a more accessible space. The enitire building doesnt need to be accessible only the education. Likewise, if you need a peanut free eating space, they are not required to make the cafeteria peanut free. They can set aside a table (use & care outlined by 504), a corner of the table, or even banishment to an school office for lunch. All those meet the letter of the law that assures ACCESS. ACCESS does not equal INCLUSION.
[I posted this in both threads, but you have more comments here so I will look back here to follow up. It is also much shorter 🙂 so easier to find your updates.]

About the reaction, has your daughter done a skin test or had any blood work done at the doctors office? Only a doctors office skin challenge, blood work and oral challenge can give ""proof.""

Without measurable results (Mothers dont like hives, but the principal didnt see them or deal with the itchy-scratchy child). Your principal and doctor may feel it is ""oral allergy syndrome"" which is not as serious as anaphylaxis. For more information visit http://www.webmd.com/allergies/features/oral-allergy-syndrome-foods

OAS can be a precursor to the more severe allergy, so you are correct. It is best to be prepared and have an EPI pen handy at all times.

My daughter had similar symptoms in pre-school. So, we did a skin challenge. She reacted so fast, that the doctor felt it would be unethical to do an oral challenge. He was relieved we had met in an office visit and not post ER! What a blessing, not a hypermom, but a vigilant mother.

A year later we did bloodwork that detected significant antibodies to peanuts in her system. With recent bloodwork (https://uknowpeanut.com/) we hoped to narrow down the specific proteins she would react to - she obviously thought she needed to keep her straight A average and ""earned"" a 100% reactive and a place in the ""Severe"" hall of fame.

You are a vigilant mother. You will see the doctor, schedule the tests and discuss the findings with him. In the midst of all the back to school prep, most Kindergarten moms are not dealing with this too. This weekend, along with binders, folders and pens we renewed the EPI pen for the Schools kit. On the first day of school, we delivered.

Hi There,

Just a comment: One thing that struck me that in the post is that the school is locking up the medicine! They shouldnt ! It is meant to administered in an emergency situation and should be readily available..... What if the the key isnt there... what if the key is lost? It is not like other medication and I would also have the Dr. address this! While most meds have to be locked this is an exception and is written into the guidelines for our school.

good luck..

I can only say from our journey and what we learned. The only way you can hold the school accountable for her safety is with a 504. It is also an opportunity to set expectations on both sides as to how emergencys are to handled. My daughter is about to be 21 and we had a 504 every year. It changed through the years. By 10th grade it was more about what she was going to do when presented with dangerous events. Our plan gave her the ability to leave ANY situation and go dirrectly to the nurses office. She only had to tell the closest person and leave. She also learned to advocate for herself and it was crucial in her learning to stand up to any adult when she was in danger. That has served her well in college and at work.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

PreviousPage 4 of 4