Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

another newbie

PreviousPage 2 of 5Next

First of all, Im sorry you *have* to be here, but you found an excellent resource. Welcome--ask anything, any time.

Secondly, you need a prescription for EpiPen Jr. right now. Right now. Call your ped. back and get an appointment now, or have your ped. give you a referral to a pediatric allergist. This cant wait until August.

Your ds had a pretty serious reaction. I would throw out or give away anything. I would not feel comfortable having any peanuts/tree nuts in the house....its just not worth it.

I second the fact that you need to get a script for an Epi Right away. I would call everyone until someone gets you one - today.

It took me a couple of months to get this this point but our house went completely nut free.

Dangerous items, bakery items - all, icecream shops, restaurant food.

I am glad you ordered some books that will help, for now just make sure someone gets you an epi pen or 2.

Well, I called the docs office again yesterday afternoon and asked them to call me today to ensure doc has read ER report. Im trying to be paient with this doc, but Ive had just about enough. And he is supposed to be the pediatric allergist specialist for this area (according to our insurance)!!!!!
We are only 4 miles from hospital here @ work and wont go home today without EPI.

ps also carrying benedryl everywhere we go

Wow! that must have been scary. My ds was about 2 when I did the same thing "" he just had a little taste!"" He also spit it right out and then got hives almost immediately. I did have benadryl in the house though. I totally agree with the other posters. Get an Epi - jr right away! and if the pediatrician wont give it too you call an allergist.

I would avoid tree nuts too.. as the cross contamination ( even if not allergic) is pretty high. Check the sun screens too
Good luck. let us know what happens

Just checking back--wanted to see if you got your Epi yet. Glad to see your determination!!

The good news is we have another doc. Bad, I cant get his pediatrician to call me back to save my life, so no epi.
More good news, in compiling info for allergist, I got copy of ER report, no throat swelling. Triage nurse said some tongue swelling, but that must have resolved before doc saw him (though I dont put a whole lot of trust in this particualr ER doc...said child was alert, active & happy. That was because he didnt see us until after benedryl and 30 min wait!)
I faxed stuff to allergist this am have appointment for next monday. (ugh). and so we wait.....
thanks for asking and I promise to keep on this, Im not disuaded easily & we are being EXTREMELY careful.

I honestly dont have any advice as my 7yo son was diagnosed only a week ago. My 17 month old daughter still hasnt tried any peanut products and instead will be tested in 6 months. I havent made a definite decision, however, we are most likely not going to have a peanut free house. We will just have to be vigilant and teach vigilance when washing hands and faces. My thought is this...unfortunately, the world is not peanut free.

Not only is my son older at 7, but he is lucky in the sense that he does not have a reaction simply smelling/breathing it in the air. He actually has to ingest it (at this point at least). Therefore, we feel that we dont want to segregate him from his friends by sitting at the ""peanut free"" table nor do we want to eliminate from the house. If his reaction becomes more severe, we will revisit our thoughts on the subject.

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it. I think that ultimately, we will not be a peanut free house. However, due to my older son only being 4 and putting his grubby hands all over everything in the house, I think we may have to temporarily ban it. Well see. Were pretty sure my little guys reaction is from ingestion only. Its hard to tell with him being so young. He cant really explain his symptoms to us. I guess Im thankful he broke out after eating it so that it was a reaction I could actually see. I know that when he ate peanut butter he usually ate less than he would have had it been something else. I had originally figured he just didnt like it much, but now Im wondering if he was experiencing some sort of discomfort. Itll be interesting to see what we learn when he can communicate more clearly.
Thanks again for your response.

My daughter was diagnosed at 18 months - her first reaction was extreme - so we went nut free and a little fanatical for a while. At the time she was our only child - our second daughter does not have any allergies but had never had a nut or anything like it - she is her sisters biggest advocate - but I have to remind myself that she doesnt have the allergy and shouldnt have to always live with it - but she has been trained to have watchful eyes and be on the alert for anything that could harm her sister. It isnt fun in any way, there are days that you really just wonder ""why us?"" then Im reminded ""why not us?"" My daughter attended the FAAN Teen Summit, after that and meeting so many other kids with multiple allergies she left saying ""if all we have to deal with is nuts we can handle that"". So, keep your head up, do your research, talk to people, be your kids advocate - the biggest thing is education - so many people still dont understand how this can turn out and as a result are not always nice during the process. I could sit here and write all night - but know there are a lot of us out here to support you - at any level.

My daughter says that she gets a metallic smell in her nose when she is close to peanuts/products - she can identify immediately if she has ingested something that would cause her harm or if it is in the air - our last reaction was from a dog breathing on her - they had just given him a treat with peanut butter inside it - didnt even think if that being an issue - but it was immediate for her. So, if a young child doesnt seem to like the taste or scent of peanut butter I would keep it away.

PreviousPage 2 of 5Next