Teen Talks About His First Nut Allergy Reaction

On his 15th birthday, a teenage boy was rushed to the hospital. It turns out that after eating a chocolate, he had suffered a severe allergic reaction to nuts. It was the first time he had ever had an allergic reaction, and he decided to share his story to the Yorkshire Post as a way to raise awareness of food allergies.

Robert Cockings, from Sheffield, England, says his face swelled up and he was unable to breathe after taking a bite of chocolate. He was rushed to the hospital, where he thankfully made a full recovery.

Because Robert had never before reacted to nuts or other foods, he says “I was really surprised I was having an allergic reaction.” “At first I thought I was short of breath due to my asthma, but as the swelling got worse and the blisters appeared I knew there was something wrong.”

His mom, Julie Cockings, says “I never thought someone could develop an allergic reaction at this age – especially when he had been eating chocolates all Christmas.” While it is much more common to have nut allergies from childhood, it is possible to develop food allergies well into adulthood.

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

You already know that if you or your child has a peanut allergy you need to avoid peanut butter. Some...

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Top Forum Categories

Click on one of the categories below to see all topics and discussions.